Sunday, March 15, 2009

Work Work Work

Here's a surprising thing about my new insta-family. When you go from a household of one to a household of four, there is so much more to do around the house. It's like the workload increases by.... four. Crazy, huh?

It is very apparent in the amount of laundry. Did you know four people use four times as many towels as one person? This is big news for most of you, isn't it? I'm also amazed at how many dishes there are to do. I could almost run the dishwasher every day instead of once a week like I'm used to.

We had a fantastic cleaning weekend. I wish I took photos of Zane and Isaac's room before and after. They were troopers; we all worked for over two hours. I think they were both pleased with the result. They've agreed to a weekly maintenance plan.

We also finished cleaning out the food storage/laundry room. This was a two week project. There was food (fruit?) that Rick's mother had bottled years ago. One of the bottles broke and the "liquid" inside stayed in the shape of a bottle. Whatever fruit and juice that was once in there had become one gelatinous mass. ick. Then there were the dead mice. Four to be exact. All at varying levels of decomposition. I won't even tell you about the mouse scat everywhere. There were also huge containers of wheat; we opened one of them and couldn't see the wheat for all the weevils. Now, all the infested wheat, bottled goo, mice carcasses, scat, and everything else are all gone. The room has been sprayed with Lysol from top to bottom. I'm going to give it one more scrub-down next weekend, and then I'll feel OK about moving some of our storage items in. Whew!!

4 comments:

Heidi P said...

Gross...gross..I hate mice.
Way to get the boys' into a clean routine. Let me know how that works.

PS- welcome to laundry hell...it is neverending.

Stephanie F. said...

Wow, you have been working your hiney off for over two months. Let's go do something fun!!! I can't believe you only ran your dishwasher once a week. I'll probably run mine twice today ;)

Afton said...

Nice use of "scat" in a sentence. Haven't thought about that words since my girl's camp days.

Sounds like you've been working hard. That "towel" thing is weird. Four times as many, you say? Huh.

CrazyCow said...

Betsy - I have found you!!! Thanks to our common friend/cousin Jill Bearden. I hope you don't mind me blog stalking you!! Sounds like you are having a great time moving into a household of boys. For some reason, they just do not seem to care as much about cleanliness!!! OK- maybe they do, but fun for you anyway. Keep in touch! Your wedding was beautiful and new hubby seems to adore you. What more could you need? Love you - Mel