This year we joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). We paid a local farmer in February to help with seed, etc and all summer we get a weekly harvest of produce. Here is what we are enjoying this week.
Peas, zucchini, beets, carrots, lettuce and chard (anyone have a good chard recipe?)
Originally, I joined with a friend and we split a share, but we found neither of us could eat all the veggies in a week. Another friend joined us this week, so the above picture is 1/3 of a share. Probably perfect for us.
The veggies are organically grown locally, harvested in the morning and delivered to us that afternoon. I actually got the boys to snack on fresh baby carrots this evening. We just get whatever is ready to harvest that week and love being surprised with what will show up.
We are definitely open to any good recipes out there. Please share.
2 comments:
That looks like the perfect amount! I'll have to find a couple people to go in with me next year!
As for chard, Bret LOVES it just cooked like spinach with butter on it. I've seen a recipe I want to try for zucchini where you dip it in egg (I think) and then bread crumbs/Parmesan cheese mixture and then bake it - like fries or something. As for beets.... one time I helped a woman turn them into a deviled egg type thing. She scooped out the center of cooked beats and then mashed it with mayo, etc and plopped it back in - you know, like twice baked potatoes or something. They were beautiful! And delicious.
I have a great chard recipe. Just dump it in the garbage. It's disgusting.
Post a Comment