Monday, September 3, 2012

DIY Weekend

This weekend we did a couple of Do-It-Yourself projects. I painted our bedroom. We'd had an eggplant colored accent wall since we moved in, but I've wanted to tie the room together a little better. I found something similar to this online and gave it a try. I LOVE it.
 
 The best thing we did to help was to purchase a laser level. It made the prep work much easier. We also purchased Frog Tape since it advertises it repels paint and gives you clean lines. Not true. I still had quite a bit of touch up. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get clean paint lines? This project was just a warm up for what we have planned for the living room. 

Zane had his own DIY project his weekend. He customized his new car with some red rims. He did a very nice job.

Rick went between both projects with advice and help when needed.


Sort of along the DIY lines, we had our first taste of the homemade syrup.
Rick made banana waffles. We had fresh whipped cream and the blackberry/raspberry syrup, along with some fresh-squeezed orange/grapefruit juice. Delicious!

 
A very satisfying holiday weekend.



4 comments:

Wendy said...

Your wall is very cool looking! I just painted a bedroom this summer....four colors. Two wall colors, ceiling and baseboards (white), and an accent color for doors and window sill. I used frogger tape to get my lines straight. It did a really good job. I had one MAJOR problem with it. I left the tape on my ceiling for a few days. It pulled the crap out of the paint. I was so frustrated. The key to good lines (in my experience) is good tape and pulling the tape off when it's still a little wet. I know that this seems counter intuitive, but it is what I have found that works the best. Did you have bleed through? Or did you have the problem with it sticking to the tape. I also pushed the frogger tape down pretty hard...ran my finger over it to get a good seal. Honestly, the paint coming up was my own dumb fault. I didn't do that when I pulled it off right away.

Good luck!

Afton said...

I've heard that you need to pull the tape off when things are wet too. I've never had good luck getting clean paint lines when I've left the tape on while the paint dries. Furthermore, sometimes, the paint dries to the tape the tape ends up sticking to the wall.

Also your banana waffles with the syrup and bacon and whipped cream look so, so yummy.

Betty Grace said...

It wasn't paint coming off with tape. It was bleeding underneath. I wondered if I put the paint on too thick and should have done more thin layers.

Jill said...

super cute room! I actually loved the red rims too. If I were young and cool I would totally do that to my car. I feel like I want to come and live with you for a while. You always make delicious looking food.