Zane's first official school dance. He was asked with a vase full of candy hearts. We had to find the ones with letters and on back and unscramble who was asking. (bad photos, sorry)
We bought an "easy" button from Staples to answer with a note saying, "The answer was easy." We threw in some Sweet Tooth Fairy cake bites, because... yum.
Here they are on their way to the dance. Cuties!
OK, I'm going to be honest here. I don't understand why everything is such a big production. Sure the answering and asking with creative ideas is cute, but also a bit ridiculous. I can see doing it for Prom or a big event, but not every dance. My theory is that some kid was scared to just call and ask a girl to a dance so his over-achieving, crafty, Mormon mom made up some crazy way to make it easier for him and, poof, we all followed suit. Then there's the actual dance. When did the whole day-date thing start? It's great to spend time with friends and have fun. It's just silly that it somehow became an expected part of a school dance to spend most of the day together. Simple can be fun. Simplify, simplify, simplify!


2 comments:
Or, you could live in Oregon where kids don't date. Our bishop has actually talked to the youth about asking each other out. I guess he was pretty surprised to find out that our gorgeous young women didn't ever get asked out. Maybe they just need to move to Utah.
We didn't do that in high school (in Cali), but when I went to BYU every dance was a HUGE deal. I had no idea how to do it, but I guess it was kind of fun. My guy took so long to reply (thinking of a creative way to do it) that I thought he was shooting me down. Nope. Gave me a newspaper with an obituary (his) that said he'd die to go with me. :)
Super cute pic! :)
Post a Comment