I have been experiencing a really strange phenomenon. As you may know, I have quite a long commute to work in the morning. I like to stay updated on traffic reports- not that it helps me get home faster but at least I can mentally gear up for what's ahead. Luckily there is KSL with its "Traffic and weather on the nines" to keep me informed, theoretically.
For the past several months, maybe longer, when I switch to KSL to hear the traffic, my brain turns off and I come back to reality just as they are finishing the report. I could blame the fact that they always commercial first and I tune those out and just stay in la-la land too long, but I think it goes beyond that. Sometimes, I sit there determined not to space out, I hear the car soundtrack they play to start the report and think, "OK I'm listening". Then, next thing I know my brain went elsewhere for 20 seconds and I missed it. It's so bizarre that it makes me laugh... and curse.
I think I have figured out why this happens. I am victim of a Pavlovian effect. When I started getting up early for the commute I would set my alarm radio to KSL. I had the rule that as soon as I heard the traffic and weather in the morning I would have to get up. One morning, in my half-slumbered state, I missed the report which, of course, meant that I had to stay in bed another 10 minutes until the next update. This soon became more and more common. I believe I have now been conditioned to tune out the traffic and weather report, even when I'm not in bed.
I have been trying to deprogram myself. On the way home yesterday, I only tuned out the Southbound traffic out of SLC (which is what I needed and broadcast first), but came in to hear I-80. Maybe one day- just in time for my long commute to stop as we are moving in a month- I will be able to get the full report. Curse those drooling dogs!
p.s. bonus points to anyone who knows the movie reference in the post title.
3 comments:
I have this same problem with the weather report. I tune into the news just to hear the weather and when it finally comes on, I tune out. Well, I don't really need to know all that extra stuff about the highs and lows and what the temp is going to be in other parts of the state. I really just want to see the pictures with the 7 day forecast. So I tune everything out, then I've missed it. Not such a big deal when we had a DVR but now...
(does the movie have Steve Martin in it?)
"He's Just Not That Into You" I think
That is one of my FAVORITE lines...it's from When Harry Met Sally when Harry and Sally are fighting at the wedding. :) Do I win a prize? I used to say that to my ex all the time b/c I thought it was such a funny line. "Who's the dog? Am I the dog? I'm the dog? I'M the dog? F you, Harry!" Did I mention I've got that movie memorized? :)
Post a Comment