Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Going Green

For Christmas my parents gave all of the siblings a Ninja blender. I decided to take advantage and start my mornings with a green smoothie. For the past several weeks this has been breakfast:

Spinach seems to be the mildest flavored green. I can't taste it at all. Although I've wanted to mix it up a bit and added some kale, which I can taste a bit, but isn't bad. I think I'll try half spinach half kale. Cucumber is good too depending on what you add. We did a spinach, cucumber, grape, pineapple (I think) a few days ago and it was yum. Another time I used cucumber and it overpowered the milder fruits I used. I'm still up in the air with cucumber in the smoothie.


I always add some Greek yogurt for protein and "smoothie-ness". I also use about 1/2 C of milk so it's not too thick to drink easily in the car. I buy a big bunch of bananas then peel and freeze them when they are ripe. A half of frozen banana in the smoothie is perfect. I have a variety of frozen fruit and, once in a while, will add a small can of pineapple (works well to hide kale flavor). I know, fresh would be better, but I'm in a hurry in the mornings to get lunches made and everyone, including me, out of the door.

I read that you can add kidney or red beans in without adding flavor. This will add some fiber and keep you full longer. I tried it- ONCE. Yuck. Maybe I used too many or the wrong kind, but I'm not feeling motivated to try it again to find the right combo. Ick. I admit that I was not hungry all morning, but maybe it was just because it took away my appetite.



The finished product. Trust me you can't taste those green floaties. :)


Deeeelicious!

Rick and I have one every morning. Zane loves them too and I make him one when he doesn't have time for breakfast. I've even convinced Isaac (our picky eater) to drink a small cup occasionally. Trying to get the kids to start the day healthy. (Kids would love it if I let them have pop tarts every morning. I just feel like a bad mom sending them to school on a junk food breakfast.)

And just so you don't get the wrong impression that we are all health food at our house, here's a picture of the cake Maya and I made.
She came over a couple of weekends ago and we had a slumber party. Sunday afternoon we made a Barbie cake (Maya wanted to decorate it like a bride princess). We also played Barbie, Queen of the Prom board game. Zane won and was Prom Queen. So bummed I couldn't find the tiara to go with the game.

1 comment:

Afton said...

Is the blender name literally "Ninja?" I'm looking for a better blender because my Kitchenaid stinks. I thought they were supposed to be good, but evidently not. I'd really like to get one of those Blendtec blenders, but I don't have an extra $400 laying around. Blendtec can blend everything except Chuck Norris.