Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Letting Go of my Ego (aka Getting Older)

I've never minded birthdays or getting older. I feel like each year consists of me learning more about myself and how to be happy and I wouldn't go back for anything... almost. While the aging process is positive for my mental and emotional state, physically I'm left wondering who I am.

I think it started with my plantar faciitis. The pain knocked me out of commission for a couple of years and, when I came back, I seemed to have transformed from the body of my youth to middle age. Everything is harder and everything hurts. It's frustrating dealing with physical limitations that I've never had before.

I was very excited to go back to Bikram yoga, but found my body didn't want to do things that used to be easy or fun. It wasn't just being stiff, something had shifted and I physically was unable to do things. I've always been someone who liked to push myself. If I do something, I want to be good at it, and I'm usually willing to do what I need to be at the level I want. So after a few weeks of yoga, when things weren't getting easier, I figured I'd just push through the pain and get my body over whatever was holding it back. Huge mistake. I ended up injuring my back and being out of commission again for several months.

I'm back again, but with a new - and let's call it more mature - attitude about my body. I'm trying to listen to my "old" body and not push it beyond what it's telling me is it's limits. It's hard. I want to do everything in class, even the stuff that hurts. My inclination is to suck it up and push through the pain. I'm learning that is my ego. Yoga (or anything - I'm also having a reality check with biking) isn't about being the best or pushing my limits (at least not my old limits). It's about being fine with where I am and being aware of my limitations. Ugh. I don't even like the way that sounds. Maybe this is my mental/emotional lesson of my 40s that will make me much happier in my 50s. We will see if I can actually convince myself to believe and act that way.

No comments: