One of my favorite people in the world is my friend Leina. We met the last day of our freshman year at BYU and have been "bosom friends" ever since. There are several funny, yet poignant, Leina quotes, but my favorite was some advice that changed my life.
One evening she called me to see if I wanted to go out. I informed her that I needed to stay home because I was sure a certain man of my dreams was going to call and want to get together that evening. (This was before cell phones, so I had to be home to get his call.) Leina was very frustrated with me and said, "Quit living your life as if something great were going to happen!"
There were a few moments of stunned silence, then we both started to laugh. I'm not sure what I decided to do that night. I hope I went out with her and had a good time.
Fast forward a couple of years.
Leina was leaving on a mission and I went to the airport to see her off. We were reminiscing and laughing about her telling me to "Quit living your life as if something great were going to happen." As I was driving home from the airport, I was thinking about my life. I was stuck in that same mindset, not just for that evening, but for my life. I was going to school, a bit aimlessly, and waiting for something fabulous to drop in my lap and make my life exciting. I made a decision right then and there to take Leina's advice and start making my life happen instead of waiting for it to happen. I put in my mission papers a week later.
I think about that advice all of time. I use it to check myself to see if I am taking control and responsibility for what's happening in my life. It's helped me overcome fears of the unknown and encouraged me to jump into adventure and experience many things that life has to offer. I hope I've maintained the attitude of seeking adventure and going after the things I want in life instead of hoping they will somehow just happen. I can give credit to Leina for a lot of fun memories, both with her and without her, because I took her advice and stopped dreaming and started doing. Leina, you're awesome (TMA to be precise). I love and miss you!
As a side note, here are a couple of other Leina gems.
"When scriptures are rustling, satan is hustling."
"Why don't you pretend you have some morals."
3 comments:
I can just hear Leina saying that one about Satan. And the others too, I suppose. I think you have taken her advice well.
I just saw Leina 3 days ago! She's doing well and solving the world's problems one person at a time with her non-profit counseling center.
My favorite Leina quote is when I found her crying and asked why...she said that she was sad that the characters of Anne of Green Gables weren't real and that she would never get to meet them!
She is one of a kind and one of my favorite people too!
great story
Post a Comment