Thursday, June 14, 2012

My First Birch Box

I am so bummed. I just wrote this whole post then lost it all. Ugh.

I have jumped on the Birch Box bandwagon. First of all, I'll explain the Birch Box if you haven't heard of it. You pay $10 / month and get a monthly box of samples of beauty products. I was intrigued by what I've read on others blogs about it, so I decided on a 3-month trial. You have to get on the waiting list, which I think is a marketing ploy to make it seem urgent you sign up. It took a week or two, then I received an email saying I was at the top of the list and better sign up soon so I didn't lose my place. Silly, but effective, I guess.

I had a long, tiring day at work today. Two people are out so I'm covering for them. Thursday is usually my short day at work, but today it was extra long and extra busy. Thursday evenings my boys all go to various lessons and I usually have some Betsy time, which often means a bike ride. I was so tired after work I just couldn't get myself out there. So I settled on a little yard work so I didn't feel guilty for being a total slug. I came in to shower and saw the Birch Box on my bed. It came when I was at work and Rick brought it in for me.  Ahhh perfect. My Betsy-time could be a mini-spa night.

Here's the breakdown of the SWAG:

MicrodermaMitt - Denizia Olive Oil Soap - I love fancy, all-natural soap, but I never buy it. I think because it's usually expensive and also usually overly-scented. This has little to no scent. I took a nice long shower. It seemed fine. I'll need to give it a week or so of use before I make the final call.
Juliette Has A Gun- Not a Perfume and theBalm-Stainiac in Beauty Queen. These are the two items I'm most skeptical about. I'm not a big perfume person. I just don't like artificial smells. However, every once in a while (lets face it when I don't shower but probably should- or when I just want to feel a little extra fancy) I like a little perfume. This tester size is perfect. I actually often choose tester perfume as my free gift at Sephora. I can try a new scent without buying a big perfume bottle that rarely gets used.   I've never been a fan of lip stain. It seems to always be a funky color and dries my lips. This is for lips and cheeks. I am open to give it a try tomorrow.
Cynthia Rowley Dress Up Band-Aids - How cute are these. I thought there'd only be 3-4 in the box, but it's a full box. They are fun. Luckily :) Isaac got cut in his fencing class and needed a bandaid so we were able to try one out.
Cute. We couldn't really see which design it was through the wrapper. I thought this one wasn't as girly as others, but it's flowers. Isaac didn't care. I love that my boys are cool with girly bandaids. (This is why I lost my post. I had just finished it when Isaac came looking for a bandaid. For some reason when I added the pic it erased all my text.) 


Masqueology - Pore Minimizing Mask - Ahhh. Here is what made it seem like a mini-spa night. This is not what I'm used to in a face mask. Instead of being a cream you put on and wash off, it was a towel you place on your washed face and leave it there for 20 minutes.

It was nice. Just a tad tingly. Now my face is very soft, but a bit sticky. Nothing I'd buy, but fun to get a sample to try.

So that's this month's Birch Box. Really fun. I'm excited for additional boxes and what they will bring. This would be a fun gift for girlfriends' birthdays or a shower.

1 comment:

kat said...

you have me intrigued . . . i myself could use a little home spa action.