Monday, June 4, 2012

Weekend Report

I did a poor job taking photos this weekend. It started with my Friday off and a morning bike ride. I've heard from everyone that Draper has great mountain biking trails. I've been in the area almost 3 years and never tried them. I was held back by my fear (unjustified I learned- just like my fear that Suncrest was too hard to ride.) I just supposed that everyone was hardcore and I'd be in the way puffing up the trail or riding my breaks down. We figured a Friday morning would be pretty traffic free to give it a try.

We started by riding to the flight park and jumping on the South end of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. My mountain bike goal for the summer is to ride the whole BST in the Salt Lake Valley. The ride was spectacular! Lots of climbing and probably the best cardio workout I've had all year. Our simple 1 hour morning ride resulted in 2.5 hours (and a sunburn). 

It was a little scary at first as the trail was very narrow next to a steep mountain slope.  But it soon widened a bit and we were graced with either a sweeping view of the valley or beautiful tree lined trail.

We rode up the mountain and under the road which took us to the top of Corner Canyon. We followed Annie's Trail (Draper Rim Trail) until it hit Clark's Trail then headed down. Much quicker getting down then up. Then it was just a short road ride back home. Lovely. We will do it many times I'm sure. There are so many options to explore once we hit Corner Canyon. Here are a few pics.
Can you tell I'm out of breath! This was during the long uphill climb.

Are you jealous? Isn't it lovely?

 
Saturday morning I met one of my roommates from BYU. I have not seen her since the 80s! She was in town for her daughter's soccer tournament so we grabbed breakfast and caught up on each others lives. It was so great to see her. I'm bummed I didn't take a pic. Hopefully, we will get together again soon.

Saturday evening we went up the canyon for dinner with another old friend, this time from high school. We've had lunch a couple of times since reconnecting, but never had some good hang out time. Her husband treated us to a dutch oven dinner. We played some games, ate and chatted. 

Jody always gives me good working-mom advice. We were discussing how there just isn't time to do everything you want/need. She imparted the wisdom that it's important to rotate what you don't have time for instead of letting the same one or two things always slide. Good advice- and made me feel better that my kitchen floor hasn't been mopped in 2 weeks. I'll get to it next weekend for sure- but don't expect the yard to get weeded!

   
Rick, Zane, Isaac and Evan playing Apples to Apples
     
Chow time- yum!
Saturday was busy, but so rejuvenating. I've been lamenting my lack of girl friends lately and it was so comforting to have old friends around. As Jody mentioned (which also applies to Jenny), it is so nice to have friends that you can see after 20 years and the time just melts away and we are still the same friends we always were. Love those girls. It reminded me that I need to make some time to cultivate new friendships because they are not just going to appear.

No comments: