Yay. Great ride tonight. You know when something seems really daunting in your head, then you do it and you realize you made it into something it really wasn't. That happened to me tonight. I've always been afraid of riding Suncrest thinking its too long and steep. I thought I'd set a goal to make it to the top over a few weeks, going a little farther up each time. Tonight was my first attempt.
The hardest part was the first 10 minutes. Never fun warming up by heading straight up a mountain. By the time I hit half way, I knew I wasn't going to stop until the top.
(Adding photo of me at the top. Not sure where it will attach since I'm blogging on my phone app.)
I got to the top and called Rick to tell him I was going down the other side and asked him to pick me up at my parents house a few miles from the bottom. It was a really fun ride and not as daunting as I thought. I'm excited to extend the ride next time and ride through Alpine, out to the freeway, then take the frontage road home.
I was thinking on the ride about riding with Missy and Shelly before my mission. We'd ride some big hills and I learned not to think about how far to the top but to "just keep peddling". That would go through my head over and over when I wanted to stop. "Just keep peddling."
A few months later, I left on my mission and came up with my biking/life analogy. My mission was this big mountain. I was at the bottom feeling overwhelmed. I told myself all I needed to do was keep peddling. Not worry about the top, just focus on the moment and keep peddling. Fond memories for the ride tonight.
There was a hefty price for the ride though. I started down and was unprepared for how bumpy the road was. My loosely secured iPhone tumbled out of my bag and hit the road hard. Luckily the car behind me didn't hit it. Even with my hardcore case, I ended up with a cracked screen. Sad. Actually worth it though.

No comments:
Post a Comment