Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Holiday Weekend

Here's the run down of Memorial Day weekend.

Friday/Saturday- Rick and I cleaned the storage room. I wish I had before and after pics. You could barely walk in there before and now it is so neat and organized. Huge pile to DI. Huge pile to throw away. Feels good.

Late Saturday afternoon we headed to Provo. We picked up Rick's dad and niece, Michelle, and went to the Provo Cemetery.

Gene, Rick and Michelle at Rick's mother's grave.

My grandparents

We had a nice dinner at Rick's favorite Italian restaurant, La Dolce Vita. Then went to see Battleship (review on side bar). Michelle came home with us to spend a few days.

Sunday we were up early to go to Dustin's missionary homecoming. What a great experience. Dustin was a good friend in Orem. It took him a while to decide to go on a mission. He went when he was 24. Such an example of a very good person evolving into an amazing person. He gave up a lot to go, but obviously gained so much more with the experience. He is on fire with missionary work and serving the Lord. 

We spent a little time after seeing old friends and neighbors. I think it made Rick and I little melancholy to remember how fun it was hanging out with all the neighbors. We've missed that and so have the boys.

Sunday night we barbequed teriyaki skewers. They were yummy. This will be a new standard for the fam this summer.


Monday started with a morning bike ride. My hardcore sister joined us- she had a baby 6 weeks ago. We've been helping her find a bike this Spring, and this was her first ride with the new bike. The road is quite rural and usually traffic free; although, we learned that holiday weekends it is used by people coming back from vacation.

Ride Stats-
Location: South end of Redwood Road
Miles: 30
Sunburns: all of us
Dead snakes on the road: about 20 (also a dead owl - is that bad to think that is cool)
Large trucks with trailers that scared the crap out of me: Too many
Fun rating: 10+


Rick accidentally took video instead of pics. So this is the only image of the 4 of us on the ride.

Danny and Rick. You can see a glimpse of the lovely scenery along Utah Lake.
Rick's niece and nephew spent Monday with us. After the ride we headed up to Salt Lake to the new mall. Michelle has an internship in NYC this summer so she needed some new clothes. We found her a few new things and Danny bought some pants as well. Very successful.

We came home and Danny and Michelle watched a movie- after the long bike ride in the morning and shopping in the afternoon, I was in bed and asleep very quickly. Party pooper. 

Very satisfying weekend!

1 comment:

Afton said...

I love your bike ride stats. I just started riding myself about a month ago and on memorial day I hit a dog and crashed. The owners did not have it on a leash and they seemed to have it under control as I passed them, but at the last minute it jumped directly in front of me. I though it might have been old and blind and deaf, but I guess it was just young and stupid. And now I'm sore and painfully aware that I am no longer in my 20's.