Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What's for Dinner

Update: salad was a hit. I don't think it was anyone's all time favorite meal, but Rick and I thought it was a definite do-again; Zane didn't say anything but was in the kitchen later in the evening looking for leftovers (good sign); Isaac said it was OK, which is what he says to everything that isn't mac and cheese or pepperoni pizza, he did say he would eat it again. I probably would add cucumber next time.

Another quick and easy meal tonight. Not sure how yummy yet. Sitting waiting for family to be ready to eat. Luckily- not a hot dinner.  Someone gave me a subscription to Taste of Home magazine (I can't remember who, but thank you to whomever it was.) The recipes have been fun, but hit and miss as far as "do again" meals. 

Here's the recipe for this (hopefully) yummy summer salad. 

Spinach Penne Salad

Ingredients

  • 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
  • VINAIGRETTE:
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • SALAD:
  • 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
  • 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 3/4 cup (6 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup sliced ripe or Greek olives

Directions

  • In a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain again.
  • Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, spinach, tomatoes, feta cheese, onions and olives. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.

Nutritional Facts 1-1/2 cups equals 327 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 233 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 11 g protein.


The magazine suggested doubling the vinaigrette and using it as a chicken marinade, which I did, then grilled the chicken.

 

Someone gave us these cute pasta bowls and serving dish for our wedding. (Apparently, I'm very bad at remembering who gives me things.) We use them often. Love them.

 
 Here's the finished salad ready to eat. Come on peeps. I'm hungry. :) I'll add an update later to see if the fam thinks it's a "do again" meal.



On an unrelated note: I have to add this pic of Isaac on his last day of 7th grade. He and his friends decided to "Suit Up" for the last day. Big brother, Zane, helped Isaac look hipster. The belt is very cool- a gift to Zane from my mom for Christmas. (See I can remember other's gifts.) It has piano keys on it.

1 comment:

Afton said...

I love salad for dinner and this one looks particularly tasty. However, i want to comment on your book review for Reliable Wife. I too hated it. I'd recently read Rebecca and Jane Eyre and there were blurbs on the cover that made it sound like this too would be a gothic romance. It was horrible. Gothic, yes, in the strictest, darkest, most humanly base sense of the word. But romance? No.