When I was single I was a champ at daily scripture reading. Even if it had been a very late night, I'd at least read a verse or two before turning off the light. Since being married, I've not been so diligent. Maybe it's having someone to talk with until the lights go out. Maybe it's just having the emotional support of my husband making me think that I do not need additional spiritual support. Maybe I had so many crazy changes in my life that I just forgot.
Regardless of the reason, lightening up on my daily spiritual maintenance definitely took its toll. About a year ago, I found my faith wavering. Even turning to my scriptures seemed empty. I didn't know what to do to get it back. I am blessed to have a Heavenly Father who knows just what I need. I had a turn in life circumstances last fall that sent emotional turmoil my way- almost more than I could handle. It is just what I needed.
I needed to be reminded that I can't do it alone. Married or single, I need strength that I can't find on my own or through my husband, regardless of how wonderful and supportive he is. I found my faith again. I was relieved to know that I still had the faith to rely on Heavenly Father when I was emotionally spent. I turned to Him and He got me through, just like he always has.
I don't know how much I've posted on here about my continuing search for happiness. It's been a quest of mine for many years. I feel that if I'm not happy in my life, something needs to change. Often what needs to change is my attitude. I believe I can be happy regardless of my circumstances. Not that it is easy, but I believe it is possible if I can maintain peace in my soul. I'm so glad that I remembered how to find that in my life again.
During my nightly scripture reading, I can again feel the strength coming off the pages. I am very conscious of how wonderful that is. I have committed to keep up on my daily personal spiritual maintenance. Now that school is starting, it will be easier to maintain our family scripture study as well. If there is anything I want to pass on to the kids, it's how to find and maintain inner peace. It changes your life more than anything else.
3 comments:
Amen. What a beautiful post. Thanks for that my friend!
You are on a roll! Love this.
I love you! A lot! Thanks for sharing and being a great example to me.
Post a Comment