Monday, August 13, 2012

What I am not

I'll just say it, I'm not an athlete. I love to be out doors and active, therefore I bike, hike, walk, ski, and anything else that seems fun. This leads people to think that I am athletic. I am not.

I remember having a conversation with a friend I used to mountain bike with. She (cute little blond girl) said, "I hate that people think I'm prissy, because I'm not." I responded, "I know what you mean, people think I'm not prissy, but I am."

With all of my riding this summer, numerous people have asked me if I want to sign up for various century rides. At first, it seems intriguing. I'd like to be able to say that I've ridden 100 miles. The energy of everyone riding together with a single goal could be fun. But when it comes down to it, I never sign up. I really don't care, or at least I don't care enough.

I know some people are motivated by competition. I'm not one of those people. I don't need to be better than anyone. (And I don't mean that to put down anyone who enjoys competition- good for you, I will come and cheer you on.) While I can enjoy pushing myself to meet personal goals, just as often, I'm fine doing what feels right for my body that day.

I love biking to work, it's a great start to my day. I love weekend biking, it can be social and it feels great to be outdoors and active. I love biking adventures with my hubby, it's great to explore new places and spend time together. (I also enjoy many things besides biking and hopefully my feet will let me do them again soon.) Pushing myself to keep up with or beat a bunch of strangers, does not appeal to me. Also, I don't want to pay to ride my bike. I can go do the same ride the next week for free, you can keep your t-shirt. I'm not an overly-frugal person (my husband will attest to that), and I don't know why it bugs me, but it does, a little.

I'm an advocate of trying anything once. You never know if you like something unless you try, right? When I re-entered the biking world several years ago,a friend convinced me to do an organized ride, and it was horrible. Maybe that is what keeps me away from them now. I was terribly unprepared and we had bad weather, so I don't consider it something to judge all other rides by. (That can be another post.) Honestly, I just think I'm not the type of person who gets into that kind of thing. I am active, but it's not the same as being a competitor. I know I should try it again, just to see, but I don't seem motivated to do it.

I remember in college I would be the first one out on my bike in the Spring. I would ride for several weeks before any of my biking friends (the naturally athletic ones whom I really wanted to be like) would join me. When we finally went out together, I was the one pushing to keep up with them. I used to find it frustrating, but I'm OK with it now. I know my strengths, I know my weaknesses. I gave up long ago trying to be something I am not.

So this is me. Not athletic, not competitive, just happy to be healthy enough to enjoy this amazing world I live in.

2 comments:

Afton said...

I knew from the title I would love this post.

Danielle said...

Oh Betsy! I loved the "Everybody thinks I'm not prissy but I am"!!! Laughed out loud! I'm with you and these organized races. Ragnar...what a scam! You pay money to kill yourself. It cracks me up. I loved how you said "I can run or bike that same route for free...why would I pay?" Love you girl!