Friday, August 3, 2012

Ride Report

We had an eventful ride in this morning. About 5 miles into the ride my back tire starting making a strange noise. As I began to slow down I heard a bang. The tire had blown and there was a large hole in the tube and a shredded hole in the tire.

We first tried the patch kit on the inside of the tire with a new tube. It was bulging a bit, but we thought we'd give it a try. Rick rode behind me to watch the tire. I made it about a mile before he told me to pull over. The tube was bulging out of the hole in the tire and ready to burst again.

Now's when I have to tell you that my husband is brilliant. He remembered a bag of energy beans in his riding pack. We dumped them out and he used the bag to line the inside of my tire. We put in our last spare tube, used the final shot of the CO2 cartridge and crossed our fingers. It worked! There is a slight bulge still, but probably just from the corners of the wrapper.

I made it into work without incident, however I rode a little more slowly than usual. My boss has been referring to Rick as MacGyver today.

No comments: