Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Vacation

Rick's sister invited their dad to come live with her in California. We helped with the move and decided to make it an excuse for a family vacation.


This is the cute house where they are moving.






Oh look, no computers around and the boys found something to do outside. They had a blast on Cameron's long boards.



At the end of Lisa and Cameron's street they have a fun nature park. There is this huge Eucalyptus tree with multiple swings. This is me doing underdog to Isaac. We walked around the park and saw an owl and a few kites.



 Cameron and the kids climbing the tree.
This was Zane's birthday week. The big 16. Moving grandpa probably isn't the ideal birthday, so I tried to think of fun things we could do that we couldn't do elsewhere. My 16th birthday was spent on family trip to California as well. We went for the BYU football game. It probably wasn't my ideal birthday at the time, but since, I've loved how memorable it is that BYU won the national championship on my birthday and I was there. So, I searched for some uniquely California things to create some fun birthday memories for Zane.
 
Monday evening we headed for Hollywood. My friend, "Pinky", blogs about famous people, and is the queen of knowing how to get photos with stars. (See Pinky's blog here) She suggested we attend the premier of The Watch. 

 
Zane and Isaac waiting in the crowd before the red carpet.  Rick and I weren't too excited about going, but once we got there, the energy of the crowd was really fun.

 A guy from The Lonely Island

 
 Ben Stiller

 
Christine Taylor-Stiller




Jonah Hill



Vince Vaughn- walking away. I've never liked him as an actor and apparently he doesn't like me as a fan. While the other actors signed autographs and took photos, he just did a pass by of all the fans without even acknowledging anyone. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was headed down the street to greet the fans there, but I don't think that was case.



Tuesday afternoon, after we got Rick's dad's house settled, we headed down to Fountain Valley to hang with the Ziebarth's and Holbrooks. Sean took us to a yummy Japanese restaurant for dinner.


Wednesday we spent a Disneyland. Here we are in Cars Land. Our first ride of the day, Luigi's Tires.





Waiting in line- we did a lot of this. Although, with fast passes and a good iphone app, we worked the park pretty well that day.



My favorite ride of all time- Tower of Terror. That's us on the back row left side.  My hair was in my face the whole ride but I was too scared to let go and move it.






We scored on the Radiator Springs Racers ride. This is the big ride right now. We heard stories of people waiting 5 hours in line. We thought we'd run there first thing when the park opened. However, when we got there, we were told the ride was closed until noon. There was a half hour line just to get a fast pass. We decided to skip it and try later. At 10:30, we heard the ride had just opened, so we hurried over. The regular line was already insane, but we opted for the single rider line. It was perfect. We were all on the ride within 10 minutes. Rick was the first one on - he didn't know I took the pic. By the time we were out the single rider line was almost as long as the regular line. This will forever be one of our great Disneyland stories.

I love this pic. Cute boys enjoying a simple ride.

Bug's life 4D show.

Everyone loves Mr Toad's Wild Ride. We also scored in Fantasyland by heading over right after the fireworks show. We did all 4 major rides there in 1 hour.

This was the end of the day. Can you tell how tired we all are!

Thursday was Zane's birthday. We started it off by meeting the gang at Papa Z's for breakfast.

We spent the morning/afternoon at the Ziebarth's pool.



We bought pizza for the group.

And of course, birthday cake.



Happy Birthday Zane!


We headed home Thursday evening, thinking we'd spend the night in Vegas. However, I was on the phone at least an hour in the car trying to find a cheap room with no luck. It's just as well as Rick and I don't like Vegas and it definitely isn't a place for teenaged boys. We drove through and stopped in Mesquite instead. Good call. We were tired, but an hour closer to home the next morning.


We made it back to Draper on Friday in time for Zane to get his drivers license. We stopped on our way into town, so Zane got all of us there to experience it with him. I did my parental duty and took a ton of pics and embarrassed him appropriately. :)


First time driving with his license!

What a fun trip. We are exhausted!

1 comment:

kat said...

you are the best mom ever! i want you to plan my next birthday party for SURE! :)