Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Shows

Rick and I usually have a BBC series that we are in process of watching. We are now looking for a new one. I thought I'd give a run down of what we've watched so far.

MI-5 (known as Spooks in Britain). Probably my favorite series from the BBC. I watched all 10 (?) seasons over several years. Rick came in on the last half and really liked them as well.  Some people compared this to 24 in the US. I disagree. While not much happened in each episode of 24, each week of MI-5 was packed with politics, drama and action. Plus, Adam could kick Jack Bauer's butt any day. :) If anyone has watched this series start to finish I want to talk to you about the very last episode.
Ruth and Harry, my two favorite characters!
One of the best things about this show is that main characters leave and/or are killed off, so you never know what is going to happen. Most of the cast changed several times throughout the years.

Downton Abbey- I already did a whole post on this series. I can't imagine you haven't seen it, but if you are in the minority of Americans who haven't, just watch it. Great entertainment.

It has Maggie Smith and fabulous costumes, need I say more.


Bleak House - I admit that some of my draw to this was seeing Dana Scully in the role. This is an adaptation of a Charles Dickens novel. Classic BBC mini series. Well done. Both Rick and I loved it.



Sherlock- this is Sherlock Holmes in modern day. Fun idea. I enjoyed them, but found Sherlock a bit annoying.  (Watson is very likeable though.) It prompted me to read some original Sherlock Holmes stories. I found that this series is quite true to the original books. Not that they are the very same stories, but they did have some of the exact same lines and a lot of similarities. I thought Sherlock in the book was more likeable than Sherlock in the series. This is worth watching if you like crime drama. Rick really liked it, and we've recommended to a few people who gave it positive reviews. Each episode runs about 1.5 hrs and is like a mini movie. Each season only has 3 episodes, which is a bummer. Season one is on Netflix, season two recently aired on BBC America.  We are waiting on season 3. I read that a version is being made in the US, set in modern day NYC and Sherlock is a female. Interesting.




Foyles War- there are several seasons of this available on DVD. We've watched a number of episodes in the first season. These are also 1.5 hr long episodes. Each is a murder mystery set during WWII. Foyle is a detective with impeccable integrity who has to deal with ethical dilemmas and politics of wartime while solving crimes in rural England. This is one of the less edgy shows on the list. (I mean that in a positive way- no nudity, swearing, gratuitous gore and violence.) We liked it but stopped having the DVDs sent via Netflix because there were other things on our list we wanted to watch. I would guess we would watch more if they were instant downloads or if we owned the DVDs. We'll probably get back to the series sometime.


Inspector Foyle, his driver, Sam(antha), and his assistant (I don't remember his name).


Jekyll- I love a good monster movie and this does not disappoint. It is hide-your-eyes gory at times, so beware. This is billed as a sequel to the original Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Set in modern day England. Complete with a conspiracy led by the Americans. (Some of our favorite parts of all these series is seeing their view of Americans. They definitely stick to a stereotype.) This is a 6 episode mini series. We have one episode left. I'm dying to see how it all comes together.

James Nesbitt does a great job playing both Jekyll and Hyde.

So, there you have it. I would recommend all of these. We need something new. What do you recommend?

2 comments:

Afton said...

I enjoyed a couple seasons of House of Eliot about two sister's who decide to start a fashion house after their father dies. It's set in the 20's and the fashion design is great.

The miniseries Little Dorrit, a Dickens with my moviestar boyfriend Matthew MacFadyen was awesome, but reflected the fact that Dickens wrote his stories serially for the paper, so the plot really goes all over the place before finally getting wrapped up.

And then anything by Elizabeth Gaskill is great: North and South (four part series), Cranford, etc.This is totally not as edgy as your list, but good in a charming, soap opera-y kind of way.

Then of course there is Doctor Who. The special effects are a little laughable and the plots are sometimes goofy, but there's some good stuff there.

My boys, including Robert, love Merlin. I found the plots to be quite repetitive. But this one definitely has more sword fighting than my other suggestions.

K said...

Poirot. :)