Monday, July 16, 2012

Computers are Ruining our Youth or I am Officially an Old Lady

I'm amazed at how my kids can stare at a computer ALL DAY LONG. And not just one day but every day. It drives me a little crazy. One of my favorite movie quotes is from Auntie Mame, "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death."  That explains perfectly what I think computers are doing- starving kids (adults too) of life experiences.

I don't think computers are evil and I don't mind my kids enjoying computer games. I think it is fine if they spend a couple of hours every day playing on the computer or even a whole day once in a while. I just want them to have a well balanced life. I know a lot of parents have boundaries to ensure entire summers are not sucked into cyberland. Some kids have to earn computer time with reading or other activities. Some kids get a certain screen time allotment per day or week. All great ideas. They don't work too well for me since I am not home during the day to enforce anything. The kids are good at following rules when I'm not there, if they remember. That is a really big IF.  For my sanity, I had to let go of what happens at my house when I'm not there, so specific or complex computer time rules just aren't going to happen.

Here's what we've done instead. The kids each picked some things they wanted to learn this summer. I asked them both to find something that required physical exercise. I'm proud to say they are both doing great and enjoying new hobbies. They also have chores inside and out. So we've got work and physical activity covered.

I still felt like computers had too much of a hold on our family. Anytime something wasn't scheduled, they would be on computers. There is so much out there to experience and help them become well-adjusted, balanced adults. I am afraid they are losing their ability to be entertained without a screen. So, a couple of weeks ago, we instilled our one rule from last summer. No screens after dinner on weeknights. This isn't too much of a restriction since they are at their mom's two nights a week and either have church activities or other classes every other evening. It leaves them with a few hours per week that they have to find something to do on their own.

I have loved the results. Zane loves music and instead of surfing music websites, he sits down and makes his own music at the piano or with his guitar. Isaac likes to build things and has spent time with the huge pile of legos in his room. He has also made a dent in his summer homework. The biggest thing I've noticed is that they both go to bed when they are tired without any prompting from parents. When the computers are on, they could be up all night and never realize when they are tired. We have to tell them several times to turn off the computers and go to bed. I'm guilty of this too. I get sucked into the TV. Even if there is nothing very good on, I will sit in front of the screen long past when I should be asleep.The screens are so mesmerizing that we lose our sense of self.

There is my old lady rant. Turn off your screens and get out there and feast!

2 comments:

Afton said...

Great observations and I love the Auntie Mame quote. Very apropos. Even though I'm home with the kids all day, I have a hard time policing a certain number of hours each day. If one kid is on the computer and the other one is watching the entire time, does that count as the watcher's time too? And then there was always the chance that someone was on DS or watching TV and I didn't know about it. Eventually I would give up and stop trying to police and the kids would stay on the computer forever. This summer, I decided we would have one screen day a week. On that day, they could "knock themselves out" with screen for all I cared. But the other six days are screen free. I love it. It's easy for me to police and the boys are having such a fun, creative summer. Ethan even made his own version of Dungeons and Dragons.

K said...

I loved this post. So very, very true.