Sunday, July 1, 2012

What's for Dinner.

A friend was recycling the last two issues of the Food Network Magazine so I took them and tried several things this week. Here's the run down.


WEDNESDAY

Wednesday night we had Orzo Salad with Shrimp and Feta. I added the cherry tomatoes because we have a plethora of them in the garden right now- yum! This was good, not fabulous, but everyone said it could be a "do again" meal. The recipe called for fresh dill and fresh mint, however the grocery bill was racking up so I just used the dried stuff we already had in the cupboard. I'm sure it would be better with the fresh, and I think I overdid the dried herbs a bit, but overall, yummy.  I took the leftovers to work for lunch the next day. I think it was better on day 2.

THURSDAY

Thursday we had Primavera with Prosciutto, Asparagus and Carrots. I really liked this, Rick and the boys thought it was OK. It was a little spicy. The recipe called for Dijon mustard, which I would either half the amount or leave out next time. The leftovers were extremely satisfying the follow day after our bike ride. Another salad that is better after some marinade time.

FRIDAY 
 
Friday night was supposed to Fish Tacos with Watermelon Salsa. But after a long hot bike ride, I wanted easy and filling. We threw some burgers on the grill. I had to take this picture because it cracked me up. Three grass-fed local beef burgers with feta compared to a boca burger. Zane is vegetarian and every time we do burgers I throw that fake-meat frozen patty on the grill with our burgers and laugh and how processed and gross it looks. I was a veg for a while a few years ago, and I know they taste pretty good, it just looks so funny compared to the real burgers.

We still kept up with our trying new recipes though and added these Emeril spicy fries to the meal. They were baked and really good. I even mixed up a little fry-sauce (that is mayo mixed with ketchup for you folks outside of Utah) which went perfectly with the spicy flavor of the fries.

SATURDAY

I was rushing around so much on Saturday that I forgot to take a picture of my salad. Rick's family had a potluck BBQ. I brought a grilled veggie pasta salad. Not my favorite. Isn't it always the case that the one new thing that isn't so good is the one you take to a party! We stopped and bought a veggie tray on the way because I was worried nobody would eat the salad. We had a few takers, but most of it is still sitting in my fridge at home.

SUNDAY  
Chipotle-Mango BBQ Chicken with Cilantro Chimichurri. This was the highlight of the week for sure. I put the chicken in to marinade before church and threw it on the grill after. Kinda spicy but the chimichurri (mostly lime and cilantro) tempered it well.

We served it with rice and broccoli. A very satisfying meal.

Zane and Isaac made Strawberry Soda Ice-cream for dessert.  They made it with red cream soda and mashed strawberries.(I threw some dark chocolate chips on top because it's just not dessert for me if chocolate isn't involved.) They did well mixing it up and being in charge of keeping ice and salt in the ice cream maker. It was good. We decided they will make a new flavor for us every Sunday.

I am pleased with the week's meals. Everything was fairly quick and easy. I think you can find all recipes on the Food Network website.

No comments: