Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 4th

 The holiday was quite an event, or better stated, a series of events, many of which were unfortunate. Every Independence Day we have a huge family reunion at my parents' house. Tuesday morning a fire started in their town. (Pretty much the whole state is burning up this summer.)  Tuesday afternoon my sister sent me a picture of the view from my parents' porch.
They were not in the evacuation zone so we sent out the word that the party was on, expecting a smokey backyard party the following day.

Wednesday the winds were still and we had a nice clear day for the annual reunion. Here's a rundown of the day via pictures
The twins at the BBQs. We had around 100 people show up this year.
Loading up the plates
Yum!

I have a star-shaped cake pan. I get to use it once a year.
Check out these cuties!

Let the water fight begin! (Sorry I didn't get pics of the volleyball game this year, but trust me, y'all looked pro out there!)

Meanwhile- the fire burned on. You could see the huge flames from my parent's backyard.
The annual slip and slide.
Just a few short runs this year before tragedy hit


Cute Christian took a flying leap onto the tarp and ripped his shin open on one of the grommets on the tarp (that's the best guess as to what happened anyway)

A trip to the ER and 88 stitches later, he's still smiling.
We are currently looking into alternate water activities for next year.

The evening ended at Thanksgiving Point to watch the fireworks. Not the most spectacular show, but fun to hang out at the park.
We hung out with Heidi's family and some of their friends. A nice close to an eventful day. 




Here's what the firefighters were doing while we were partying!  This is my sister's friend's home. Firefighters working hard to save the house.
Scary!






























































Amazing. Burned all around the house, but saved the home! We are so grateful for a cooler rainy day today.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Yup that was a good recap of the day. I'm uploading the cousin pics and will have them on face book in about 15 mins. It's a huge file so if youwantone for printing purposes I can email it to you. Otherwise you can copy it from my Facebook page.

Jill said...

Yes, this fourth of July won't be a favorite memory, but will defiantly be remembered!! I was having fun at the BBQ until the "incident". I am glad your friends house was saved. How scary!!