Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Weekend Update- Girls weekend

I can't believe I haven't blogged for a month. Last weekend was very blog worthy. After I moved from Colorado in 1996, my two girlfriends and I would do a girls weekend at least once a year. As they starting having kids, the frequency diminished. The last time I saw them was for my wedding four years ago. It was definitely time to get together again.

Erica planned a great weekend.They are both now back in Colorado. Kat's parents are in Boulder, where we all used to live, and they agreed to let us all crash at their place.

We started the weekend with dinner and a few other girls who are still in the area. This picture is horrible. The waiter was acting like he knew so much about photos, changing settings on my iphone before taking the photo. Uh- flash should have been turned off.  Anyway, the gist is a fun dinner with the girls. Erin, Tina, Erica, Kat, me, Margaret

The rest of the weekend was shopping, hanging out, lots of chatting, visiting with our old Bishop and his wife, the FIRO-B (personality test that we've taken every girls weekend since 1998. Erica keeps the results so we can see how we've changed over the years), Apple Jacks (girls weekend staple), and a movie (42) in this amazing theater with reclining leather seats.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of photo taking. This is the only pic we got of the three of us.















I have to take a minute to praise my friends. When I lived in Boulder, I remember thinking how amazing my friends were.

Kat is smart- literally MENSA-smart. While impressive, this isn't my favorite thing about her. What I love is you'd never know how smart she is by talking to her. I told her that once, as a compliment, which she took as one. She has a PhD in neurobiology, but she isn't one of those people whose self-image is based on being a smart girl. (Please don't think this is a sexist comment and I think girls shouldn't be smart.  I find men who have to prove how smart they are in every conversation every bit as annoying.) She is just Kat. Fun loving, well rounded, and a very interesting conversationalist. Some of my favorite memories are day long hikes through Rocky Mountain National Park having intense conversations solving the world's (and our) problems.  She knows how to get things done, and fast. When my apartment flooded when I was in Utah for Christmas, Kat was there and had the place cleaned out in no time. (Or maybe it did take a long time, I wasn't there there. But no complaints from Kat, she just takes care of what needs to be done. No complaints.) She went the extra mile and, after everything dried out, put it back in its place before I got back. Kat is also DIY queen. I don't think there is an original wall left in her house. The week before I got there, she found a huge boulder buried in her yard, which they promptly dug up and are making into a bubbling fountain for the front yard. She the mother to 3 cutie kids who have a never-ending supply of crafts and homemade treats from Kat. She also recently added raising chickens to her resume.

I consider Erica as the heart of our group. I feel like she's the one who brought us all together. She is extremely talented and smart. When we lived in Boulder she was completing her Master's degree in music. She is a talented cellist and amazing vocalist. I loved all the comp tickets to hear her play in the Boulder Philharmonic. I was always so proud to be her friend. She is also a ton of fun. Lots of great memories laughing with Erica. She always got us to be just a little wacky. Everything was always more fun when Erica was around. She now has 4 kids and is an amazing mother. Erica has a talent for making people feel good about themselves. She is also one of the most prepared people I know. Once she slipped and gashed open her leg while hiking. The ER nurse asked her when her last tetanus shot was. It happened to be the day before. Since it had been a while since her last booster, and since we spent a lot of time hiking, she figured she needed one. This is typical Erica. I don't know that she's ever been unprepared for anything. She also runs marathons.

Erica would sometimes clean my house while I was at work so I would be free to hike or bike with her after work. Kat would sometimes get in on this too. They were both in school and I worked full time. Instead of leaving me out of their fun (they did that sometimes too) they would do my chores so I could have a lot of free time in the evenings. I remember one day coming home and Kat (?) had had enough of my annoyingly disorganized CD collection. My house was clean and music was alphabetized.

I love having these girls in my life, even though we don't see each other very often. I'm so happy that we can get together after 4 years and pick up right where we left off. My life is definitely better because I know them!

(Here's a little love the the girls at dinner too. Erin- everyone loves Erin. If you don't believe me, just meet her. You will love her in about 5 seconds. Tina- she moved to Boulder shortly before I moved away. She is a warm, kind woman. Unwavering faith. Mag- all I can say is NEVER play Set with her. You will lose. Mag is all kinds of fun.)

1 comment:

kat said...

you are too kind. i've just been sitting her - actually all week - thinking, wah. no girls' weekend this weekend. what am i going to be doing? :)

one of my favorite 'chores' that erica and i did was putting together your entertainment center while you were at work. we debated a LONG time if it would be a good surprise, or if you'd be bummed because you didn't get to build it yourself. :) i guess that was BEFORE we really knew you!

you are the greatest! i love that we can just pick up where we left off, which is great since i don't know how to dial a phone!