Monday, September 15, 2008

Weekend in Jackson

What a great weekend. Cynthia invited us to stay with her in a condo someone had offered her for the week. It was so nice to get away. The weather was perfect- was a little chilly which is great for hiking. We were afraid it would rain, but we had blue sky the whole time. I hauled my camera around but didn't take many photos. Luckily Rick had his iphone and picked up my slack. Here's a sampling...


This is just before our first hike outside of the park. That is Jackson in the background.

This is hike #1 on Friday

Saturday we did a hike/walk from String Lake to Bear Paw Lake. This is us by Leigh Lake.














As we were hiking we heard something moving in the bushes-- turned out to be a big bear! You can see is on the bottom left coming out of the woods.

It walked up the trail we had just come down.


It was exciting and a little scary!


Here we are Saturday afternoon in front of Jenny Lake just before leaving for home.















Good times!!!

10 comments:

Heidi P said...

Those pics are so cute of you two. Looks like perfect hiking weather.

And about the bear, I think 1% exciting, and 99% scary. Glad you got a pic, and you are still alive. :)

Are you really still up?!

Afton said...

When you said you heard something in the woods, I was totally thinking, "Holy Crap it's Bigfoot!!!" So glad it was just a bear. (And even though you already mentioned the bear to me earlier, I was still kind of surprised) Very cool. Even better that it was a black bear and not grizzly, or worse, Polar because that would be both dangerous and sad...global warming sucks.

Second, love the phone self- photography by Rick. Nice job. My cell phone is not a fancy camera type. In fact, it's pretty low tech...like it types in pencil! (kidding) Maybe with a fancy phone it's easy to take great pictures, but it seems like it could be challenging, so good job on the snappy pics. They look great.

Betty Grace said...

Ah man- Big Foot would have been SO COOL! The truth is out there!!!

abi said...

a little scary? a LOT scary! We saw a SLEEPING bear from the side of the road while we were in our CAR at Yellowstone. That was even scary. Love the pictures. Makes me miss the mountains.

Scully said...

Looks like it was gorgeous! And look how cute you guys are together!

Jill said...

So pretty!..and yes, a little scary too! I am glad you have someone to go on adventures with...well, actually you have always had SOMEONE because you've always gone on adventures, but this is the kind of someone you can kiss and cuddle with! lol

Mindy said...

I love Jackson. I worked there at the Lodge for two summers during college. Thankfully, I never ran into a bear. If I would have been with you on that hike I would either still be rocking on the ground in the fetal position or I would have pushed you both down and ran for my life! I really hate bears you know...seriously, I dream about them coming to get me at the grocery store and I have to jump up on the isles and throw canned goods at them to get them to leave. The good thing about Jackson and Yellowstone bears are that they tend to be used to the sites and smells of tourists and are not suprised by them enough to come and attack you out of fear...at least thats what they told me...
Did you make it up to Jackson Lake Lodge or Coulter Bay?

Chardell said...

You two are a very nice looking couple. What a nice trip. I would love to see a bear. As long as my kids were safe at home.

Darren Hintze said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to see a bear in the wild! Very cool!

Great pics! Looks like a fun trip!

Heather said...

Betsy...you are so pretty!