Sunday, March 30, 2008

Miracles

It's been an interesting weekend. On Friday a good friend was diagnosed with breast cancer. Very surreal. I've spent the last couple of evenings with her, and I'm amazed and impressed. She is handling it so well. A few of us fasted for her today, then SHE made US dinner. (She's always the perfect dinner party hostess, and it was lovely as usual.) As we were talking this evening, she got teary and said she knows that the next few months will be such a blessing because of the outpouring of love she has felt from family and friends in the past 24 hours. She is finding the silver lining in everything. Also handling it with humor. I don't know if I could do that, and I'm amazed at her positive attitude. I see how helpful it is for her and everyone around her to be able to find things to laugh at in the middle of the heartache. What a great example she is to me. How blessed I am to have such wonderful friends!

4 comments:

Chardell said...

Wow, she sounds like an amazing girl. I can't imagine what she must be going through. She's lucky she has a good friend like you to stand by her.

Jill said...

So sad. I will pray for her. She seems like the type that will beat it with her attitude. It's scary when "real people" we know have bad things happen to them. It always makes me gratful for everyday.

plainoldsarah said...

i don't know all your friends but i can imagine a few of them and they are all capable of being this strong and positive. i think that says a lot about you too. good job bonding together as a "family" in a time of need.

Heidi P said...

You could do it Bets- You are as amazing as all your great friends. I am glad she is doing so well.