(I'm sorry this has turned into a lot of biking blog. I'll try to diversify in future posts)
I've done a couple of distance rides this past week and I have to say that it's really fun, even better than straight up a canyon and back down. (Not that that isn't fun too.) Last Saturday, I rode Antelope Island. Last night, I rode with a group from Liberty Park to Saltair (however, I turned around early so I could be back to the park for my tennis class). Here are some things I've learned from the experiences.
1) This is going to be expensive. I now NEED a computer and extra cages for water. Also, one pair of biking shorts isn't going to cut it for multiple rides every week.
2) I'm pretty slow. (the computer is going to totally help with this) The gang has been teaching me to group ride and it's much easier to ride behind someone, although a little scary. It was nice getting pointers on cadence, etc. Seriously, love the group for being patient and making it fun.
3) A solid breakfast is good, but doesn't tie you over the whole ride. I need to pack some Cliff Bars.
4) When you're riding alone on Antelope Island you can sing along with your ipod as loud as you want and nobody, except the roaming buffalo, will know (unless you post it on your blog later).
5) I still love that little clicking sensation when my shoes connect to my bike. I especially loved it when there were 10 of us riding and all clicking in at the same time. Something about it just makes me happy. Maybe it has to do with my tap dance roots.
Tomorrow we're doing a canyon ride. Tonight I'm shopping for some gear. :)
And to Scott, Monica, Milo and Holley-- thanks for the the fabulous, huge, warm cinnamon rolls on my doorstep when I got home. I was so tired and hungry- just what I needed. I have great neighbors! Are you sure you want to move??
9 comments:
I am happy that biking makes you so happy. I could almost feel how much fun clicking in altogheter feels. Sounds like some high tech stuff your getting. Fun!
altogether. all together. at the same time.
sounds like a lot of fun! you need to post some pictures of the places you ride!
Mmm, peanut butter clif bars :)
Didn't your biking group hear you sing really loud on Antelope Island?
Heidi & I watched our gold outfit talent show tap dance the other day. We were awesome. You couldn't even see my face there was such a glare from my jumpsuit.
Up until the the last of your post, I wanted to bike ride....now I just want a cinnamon roll! It's so great that you have a hobby that both fun and good for you! I will always think of, and look for you when I pass a group of bikers on the road. :-)
I also highly recommend Larabars. They are a nice change from Clif bars which I can usually only eat when very hungry.
Scott
I haven't been on a bike in 20 years and you made me want to ride a bike. Even though I don't know what the click sound is of riding the bike and I can almost hear it now. You really should ride a book with the way your describe things.
Is this "computer" thing you need similar to that super fancy dive computer watch you wanted and maybe got?
What does the computer do?
Your ride does sound fun, especially that singing part on Antelope Island.
your descriptions of riding make we want to hop my shamu-self onto a bike and cruise. and then i read one of those lists of 'things you should/shouldn't do whilest hatching an alien' and i put it off again for another few months or so . . .
Post a Comment