Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'm Such a Great Friend :)

I had plans for the weekend to go do some hiking in the San Rafael Swell. I've been craving some good hiking, warm/hot weather, and red rock. Unfortunately, there was a family emergency with one of our group so the trip was canceled (hopefully just postponed).

Here I was with a whole weekend and not a thing planned. That is rare. I thought about just having down time, cleaning my house really well, hiking locally, finding some new places to bike, seeing some movies, hosting a BSG party, the possibilities were endless. Although, it seemed I was in getaway mode and nothing would satisfy like the idea of getting out of town. I started considering some last minute excursions. I've been trying to get to both California and Colorado to visit some girlfriends. So I started looking at plane tickets and decided the good ol' OC would be my weekend getaway.

I called Alisa & Shelly to make sure they'd be available. Alisa was having breakfast with Sean. I thought, "How cute, they're out to breakfast together. I love it when married friends still enjoy each other and do fun little stuff like that." Not thinking that it was about anything else. Alisa was stoked and totally supportive of the weekend spontaneity. I booked the flight and called her back. She then reminded me that it was HER BIRTHDAY today. Duh. (sounding familiar, Steph) Some great friend I am! So I told her we needed to start over, and said, "Hey Alisa, I was thinking as your birthday present I'd fly in for the weekend so we can celebrate." No fooling her though. We did have a good laugh.

Really, I didn't forget. I'd seen it on my calender multiple times in the last week. I probably would have called her later today just to wish her happy birthday. For some reason, my brain doesn't multitask like it used to. I was on the what-to-do-this-weekend track which was all encompassing to my almost-forty-year-old brain. What's the deal? When did I become so absent-minded?

Luckily have a nice friends who just laugh at (with) me.

5 comments:

Heidi P said...

LOL That is great, Bets!! Way to go. I am glad your subconsious knew what it was doing all along. Have a great weekend! :)

Stephanie F. said...

Haha! I'll never forget the day you picked the lunch spot for my birthday :) Love ya!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

kat said...

i can't believe we lost out to OC! nuts!

Crystalyn said...

Have fun in Cal. Get a sunburn for me.

Jill said...

I hate it when I do that! I have spoken to FAMILY on their birthdays, but forgot it was their special day. It really makes you feel like a doof! Luckily those we love are quick to forgive us! I also have to remember that people forget my birthday and I don't get too offended. We are all human. :-)