Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mika

Rob and I went to see Mika last night. It was a little crazy as his gear got stuck in a snowstorm somewhere. Instead of cancelling the show they opted for an acoustic performance. If you know Mika, acoustic just didn't seem like it would cut it, but it was fabulous. That guy has some talent.

It had potential to be a rotten evening. We arrived to a line two blocks long that didn't move for 45 minutes. It was freezing, Rob didn't have a coat, and I was wearing my clubbing shoes- meaning my feet were killing me. We decided to go get something to eat then come back. We timed it perfectly and got to the club about 15 minutes before the show started. We all got $10 cash at the door since it was a shortened set list. I'm not saying no to cash, but I couldn't have been happier with the performance. I love shows in small venues. Mika was great. There's something about a skinny guy with big hair and some funky moves that just does it for me. :) I'll add a link to one of his videos- click the title to watch. Ha, reminds me of the videos we used to make growing up. If Shelly would ever give me the DVD of them, I'd post one of those too. (wink wink nudge nudge)

I also have to include this link because you can see Rob's favorite part of the concert- the drummer. It's Mika singing Grace Kelly live on a French TV show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVXpYekcJ34

Ok, reading this post makes me pause. I'm almost 40 for crying out loud. Am I too old for this whole club scene? Since my birthday, I've had a number of these moments. Like when I was doing my hair for church and grabbed a bobby pin with rhinestones. It all of sudden hit me that I can't pull off sparkly hair clips anymore. I don't want to. It doesn't bother me, I've always (well almost always) enjoyed getting older, I just think that it is funny that my birthday created such a sudden change in how mature I feel. I remember my 30th birthday doing the same thing. I loved it. Leaving my 20's behind me was liberating. I've still got another year until the big 4-0 though, and I'm not leaving my thirties behind me yet. Sparkly clips- yes, club scene- no way.

2 comments:

kat said...

i say you can hit the clubs as long as you can move - UNLESS you feel the need to wear ridiculously short mini-skirts or other high school clothing, and then we'll have to have an intervention. oprah keeps saying that '50 is the new 40,' so i guess by that token '40 is the new 30,' and there is still plenty of partying left to be done! i still think i'm 25 - although falling asleep at 9 pm last friday would be an argument that i'm wrong! :)

i'm sad to see that atonement didn't tickle your fancy. i remember liking the book - not that i can remember why, since i read it years ago now!

Heidi P said...

For the record-- I will be wearing rhinestones, sequins, and anything else resembling a costume until I am 80!! And red lipstick. Your never too old to SHINE!