Like everyone else, I've read the Twilight books. I think I like them for different reasons than most. I just love vampire books/movies. I love Stephenie Meyer's take on vampires and explanation of the lore. Much to the dismay of my niece and her friends, I have to say I'm not a fan of the Edward / Bella relationship. I think she should go with Jake. But this is a different topic.
I get sort of bugged with the cheesiness of the love story. Sometimes I think it's wrong to have young girls read that crap and actually think some guy will say stuff like that. Soooo fantasy. Then tonight I'm sitting in the bathtub reading the Maytrees. It's this beautiful book by Annie Dillard. I've never got into her fiction before, but I'm loving this. It's all about love, and it's breathtaking. Then it hit me- maybe this is just Twilight for adults. I'm sucked into the fantasy just like my nieces are with Twilight. Love like that is fiction. That's why we like books like this, takes us out of reality and and into a land where vampires are real, some are "vegitarian", and love is breathtaking. Have I really gotten this cynical? Maybe it's just the headcold talking. :)
4 comments:
Can't comment about the Twilight books... I think I am the only girl this side of Texas who hasn't read them. But as far as love goes, sitting in the tub reading a good book sounds pretty breathtaking to me.
I love the description of the vampires too. Just like I love to read historical romances because of the history, haha :) Isn't part of the reason we read fiction is to escape reality for a while? I don't think the author is going to acheive that if she write about reality. I did hesitate to let Kasey read the Twilight series because of the cheesy romance, but isn't that what 13 year olds think love is anyway? Love you!
I'm telling Aaron Hull to check out this blog about the Twilight books. He would totally agree with you. He almost put the first book down, because he couldn't stop thinking about Rachel White and Aaron Mack reading it at the same time they were "getting busy." Aaron Mack looks just like Edward so Rachel played the part of Bella and they rolled played the part right into making a baby while still in high school.
Maybe I am a little cynical, sorry.
I think I will check out Maytrees by Annie Dillard. I'm needing a good book.
Glad you liked Evan Almighty. Although, I dont think I am going to let my kids' watch it anymore... Last night I walked into Wills room and he was kneeling by his bed, and said- "thanks for the house-the house is great! ...I am done." Then climbed into bed. Great... My son thinks Morgan Freeman is God.
Post a Comment