Monday, January 28, 2008

More Snow Storm Reminiscing





Wow what a storm today! I picked up a sandwich, went home for lunch (I drove today) and by the time I got in my house my pants and socks were so wet that I put them in the dryer while I ate lunch. It got me thinking of Alaska and some other insane snowstorms. Here's one that is the top of the list.

While serving in Homer we also covered a little town across the bay, Seldovia. We flew over there a number of times during the 5 winter months I spent in Homer. One trip we had planned to tract as much of town as we could in the 2 or 3 days we would be there. This happened to be the week of the hugest storm I've ever seen. (Afton, I don't have any pics to post, do you? Later-Oh she does, now to decide if I want pics enough to endure the embarrassment of the permed hair! A) It was the early 90s, B) My coat pockets are full of BofMs, so I'm not a chunky as I look there.)

Stuff like that was kind of fun. It made me feel like I was living what I pictured when I got my call to Alaska. We would go out tracting in the morning, come home for lunch, lay our clothes by the heater to dry, blow dry our hair, eat lunch, and head out again, then do the same thing at dinner time. Everyone let us in because they felt sorry for us, however we never were invited to stay more than a few minutes probably because people thought we were totally insane. I remember my glasses immediately fogging up the second a door was opened and trying to give a door approach knowing how silly it must look with fogged over glasses.

That night it was really windy. We slept in the church which was a trailer with a little room built on it. We pulled some old matresses from the back to the front room so we could sleep next to the little heater. It's not the safest feeling being in a trailer in a huge windstorm. In the morning, the front door of our arctic entry was ripped from the hinges and completely gone. (The pic with Afton eating snowflakes you can see the door in the background that was gone 24 hours later!) Some members (one of two member families in the town) had their roof blow off in the night. Scary experience, great memory! (We thought the pic sitting in the snow reading the BofM was hilarious when we took it. Nerdy missionary humor.)

Seriously, I love this weather! It makes me want to be in a cabin with hot chocolate, a good book and roaring fire!!

8 comments:

Afton said...

I will never forget that night. You were sawing logs and I couldn't sleep a wink. I think I must have sung "Master the Tempest is Raging," in my head hundreds of times that night. Remember, the kitchen window broke too from a flying branch or something.

I have pictures, but no scanner...let me see what I can do.

Afton said...

I think I carried 4 books of Mormon in that coat.

Stephanie F. said...

Call me, I'll help you with the pics :)

kat said...

i'm jealous of all your snow. this has been one of the driest winters i can remember. the cold keeps me inside, because i'm a pansy, but i'd like to LOOK out the window at some snow!

kat said...

as for your posting questions, just drag the picture to where you want it. when you add it, they all end up at the beginning, but they drag. just be patient - sometimes it's a little pokey.

Heidi P said...

How are we related!!?!? I freaking hate the snow!!!!! But we are both cute, so we have to be I guess...

Heidi P said...

Ha! Every time I leave a comment and have to type the word verification, I think of elementry school. When you couldn't look at your fingers and have to type random sequences of letters.

Crystalyn said...

Would you actually go tracting when the temp was below 0? I can not get to the end of my street. It seriously stings the face.