Some of my favorite things about Kat:
1- She has an amazing recipe for ANYTHING you want- quick and easy or elaborate.
2- Home improvements are cake for this girl- she wouldn't dream of hiring anybody regardless of the project, she will figure it out.
3- Super smart, but doesn't make you feel stupid. Once I said to her, "Nobody would ever know how smart you are just by talking to you." Which is actually a compliment. This girl is MENSA material but relates well to any crowd.
4- She's a good sport about letting us tease her about not-so-smart lapses (i.e. almost getting hit by the train, that guy in Europe, Big Ben)
5- Would do ANYTHING for her friends. Once when my apartment flooded while I was out of town, she not only took everything out while the carpet was ripped up and drying, she also moved everything back so I didn't have to come home to a mess. One more- she and Erica flew out for my birthday a couple of years ago and made an amazing dinner for all my friends; Kat brought the most amazing cake with her on the plane.
6- Always up for a good adventure. (i.e. spontaneous road trips, biking Poor Man then flying down Sunshine canyon, jumping in Boulder Creek, hiking, shopping, trying a new restaurant)
7- She helped me discover my love (need) for a convertible. Plus, she likes to be in charge which means I rarely have to drive (yes, I love this in a person)
8- Amazing gift for teaching. Wanna know how science fits in with the gospel? Kat will tell you many ways AND make it interesting.
9- I have great memories of day-long hikes in Rocky Mtn Natl Park. We'd climb some amazing peak- often exploring beyond the trail's end- and talk the whole way solving all the problems in the world (or at least our worlds). I always came away feeling tough (from the hike) and smart (from the conversation).
10- Really, everything is more fun with Kat. Museums are more interesting because of her interest in art history, road trips hilarious because she does things like assign points for how many strangers photos you can get in, food is more tasty because she insists on homemade, conversations more colorful because of her strategic use of hyperbole. She's just great!
Some photo memories:
This is from a weekend we spent at her family's condo in Winter Park, CO. I think we were trying to do ballet and ski at the same time.
Hiking in Arches National Park- Kat's wounds from biking Slickrock the previous day.
Kat in the tiger stripes. I must say Sam Jones' hair looks amazing in this photo.
Science nerd at her finest
In SLC. The best part of the photo, for me, is the memory it brings up of that evening which we will refer to as "The Seduction of Dwayne"
My all time favorite picture of Kat. Mid-air jumping down the sand hill. She was even a good sport when I blew this up and hung it on the institute bulletin board.
Love you Katharine! Happy Birthday!
2 comments:
betsy, you are the greatest! thank you thank you thank you! those pictures are hilarious - i don't think i even have a picture of myself in the lab - how do you have one?
you rock!! thanks for making my day!
Happy Birthday Katharine! No wonder my sister is so cool, because she has awesome friends like katharine to hang out with!
Post a Comment