Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Something Different

I feel like all I've blogged lately is reports of events I've hosted. There's more to come of those this week, but I thought I'd break it up a little with a more traditional post. Mostly because I want to post about my new bike and how anxious I am to ride. I've only been on it a few times. My life's been so crazy lately that I haven't had much time. I took it into the shop yesterday and had a few alterations, and now I'm really ready to go. Can't wait until the weekend!

I was with my sister the other day and going on and on about how excited I was to finally have a road bike. She asked if I was going to ride to work (I often walk). I said, very adamantly, "No, I really don't like riding on the road." She looking at me puzzled and asked why I was so excited to have a road bike. We both laughed really hard.

What I mean is, I don't like commuting/riding downtown. I think SLC is not a bike-friendly city. Maybe it's just because I came from Boulder which is the ultimate pedestrian friendly town, but I'm nervous biking around the city. Most of my pavement biking has been up City Creek (easily accessible and I can ride from my house) or Immigration Canyon or something similar. I was thinking I may enjoy doing some distance stuff that isn't straight up a canyon and then back down (however I really like the speed of coming down canyons). I need to get over my road fear and try some different routes, I'm just not sure where. I have plenty of biking friends, but I feel like the new, inexperienced kid and hate holding people back. The guy at the bike shop last night invited me to ride with him and offered his number, and then disappeared without giving it to me. I guess I'll call the shop and follow up.

3 comments:

Heidi P said...

Are you a Boulder snob?

Ya, call the bike shop guy.

I just have to say, I am so thankful for adventurous people in my family, so I don't have to be one..

Betty Grace said...

YES! I love being a Boulder snob!

Stephanie F. said...

Haha, Boulder snob :)

Glad you are excited about your not-in-the-city road bike!