Friday, July 11, 2008

Flashback Friday- Africa, Christmas 2002

I haven't done a Flashback Friday for a long time. I thought my next one would be my BYU days (going sort of chronologically) but I've been thinking a lot lately about my trip to Senegal so decided to post this instead. First, sorry about the poor quality (and large number) of photos. Instead of trying to find my CDs of photos I just snapped photos of some of the hard copies in my photos album.

I think Africa has been on my mind lately because I've been on a bit of a spending spree, buying things I "need" (new TV, etc) and feeling kind of guilty. When I came back from this trip I swore to change my view of what I "need". I'm such an sterotypical American living in excess. I was so impressed with how little everyone had and how happy everyone was. Not to mention most of them were living with malaria! It definitely made me reevaluate what brings happiness and how much I really don't need. It seems I need to be reminded of this quite often as I'm sucked into materialism over and over. We thought it would be fun to stop in NYC on our way home for New Years' Eve an hit some of the after Christmas sales. Big mistake! I was totally sick plus we didn't expect to have such culture shock which made shopping seem disgusting. At midnight we stood there (a couple of blocks from Times Square because we couldn't get any closer in the crowds) impatiently waiting for the ball to drop so we could leave. Not exactly the Dick Clark Rockin' New Year's Eve we'd anticipated. Anyway, here's some photos of the trip.



This is one of the "buses" we took from Dakar to Koussanar. It kept breaking down. It took us something like 14 hours to get there when it should have been 5-6.



I brought some bubbles to play with the kids. We'd walk outside our bunks and within minutes kids would be swarming. They loved the bubbles. We had poised cute for this photo (you can see me in the back) but then Allison went to take the photo and held up her fingers counting to three. Of course, these kids didn't understand English so they just mimicked her and held up their fingers for the photo.



This is one of the classes we taught. I love this photo because it looks like I'm superimposed in it.


They had numerous dances/celebrations for us. They'd pull you out of the crowd to perform. Then eventually everyone would join in.



We took some donkey carts to outlying smaller villages. These girls were grinding some kind of grain. This is one of the photos that didn't rephotograph too well. We had a former Peace Corps volunteer with us. She took us to these smaller communities where we showed them how to make ovens to cook on to conserve fuel. You make them out of clay you dig up and termite mounds. Apparently termite spit is really bonding and holds the ovens together well.



I have no idea why this uploaded upside down. This is one of our interpreters showing us how to use the bathroom (can you see the little hole right beneath him?) We actually had plumbing where we stayed so I never actually used one of these "facilities".



Me with some of the kids. Can you see me starting to look hammered? People in our group were starting to get really sick. I could tell my body was trying to fight it off for days and I was slowly losing the battle.



Someone in our group brought stars to give the kids at school. When we started giving them out the women also wanted them for accessories.



This was after the final day of school. This little girl stuck to me pretty close the whole time I was there. I had brought that little stuffed dog to use for games in class. She was cute and so patient with me and my attempts to speak to her in French. She asked us to come visit her home after the last day of school. It was a humble little place where she lived with extended family, but she proudly took us around to show us everything. She was especially proud of their mango tree in the yard and an Easter hat. Her grandfather took us into their prayer building and gave us a blessing. I think of this girl often. She was such an eager student. I would guess by now she is married with kids and working harder than any of us will ever have to.



Here's me completely out of it. We were trying to pack to leave and I could barely roll over in bed. I seriously have never been that sick before. Allison was so nice and took care of me, packed my bags and everything. I was actually starting to feel a little better by the time we started traveling back.

Here is the whole group the last day in Koussanar. I really didn't want to be out of bed for this photo, but also didn't want to miss saying good-bye to everyone. Hey-I'm wearing that same shirt right now (DHC). It's now my pajama's.


Another bad photo, but this is regular traffic in downtown Dakar (capital of Senegal) This is right by the market. It was insanity! We toured a little before coming home including visiting Goree Island where they took slaves before being transferred to Europe and America.

So there is it. Sorry this was way long. It's just been on my mind a lot lately.
Happy weekend everyone!
p.s. I just talked to Heidi and she suggested I post my Africa journal and pics. I just did a quick blog of the journal (see link on right). I'll dig up the CD of photos and get a slide show on there later.

5 comments:

Heidi P said...

This was an awesome post. I don't think I have ever seen these photos before?!
How grateful it makes me to be where we are. We are so blessed. I bet this trip was life changing.

I amo on my way to your house! :)

abi said...

Wow. Thanks Betsy. I just finished reading The Good Earth (again) and I was reminded about how much we don't value work and how important it is for our kids to learn that. I really hope I can take my kids on humanitarian type vacations when they are older (and I have more money?!). It is great to have those memories as a reminder to make our crazy life a little less self-centered.

Stephanie F. said...

I don't think I've seen these photos before either. Or maybe just not for a long time.
I often think of Suzanne saying the people in Cambodia don't say they had breakfast, lunch or dinner. They just say we ate rice. And I think I have to have Training Table.

Jill said...

Those pictures are great! Thanks for posting them. I'd forgotten how sick you got! Once again..you are amazing!

Chardell said...

I love the pictures! We really have excess don't we. What amazing people. Thanks for sharing.