Tonight I played my final tennis game in the summer league. I had such a great time. I'd have to say that I didn't have the best season, I only won one match, but it was just what I wanted- good times and an opportunity to get better. Here's the season breakdown.
Match 1 - Lost big time. It was really fun though, and I felt like it was just breaking me in on what league play is all about.
Match 2 - Won. Really loved winning. Had fun, felt like I played well.
Match 3 - Lost, not by much, but was mad about it. This may have been the least fun I've ever had playing tennis. I just really wanted to win and was constantly disappointed in myself for missing shots. I just felt like I played bad. The only good thing was playing tennis with Will after the match was over.
Match 4 - Lost big time. Loved every second of it. I was only supposed to play three matches this season but I got called last minute to substitute for someone. At first I was determined to win so I could at least say I'd won as many matches as I'd lost this summer. Then I started thinking about why I didn't have fun in the previous game. Having won match 2, I was completely focused on winning. (I think previous to match 2 I didn't think I had much of a chance to win.) Putting so much emphasis on winning made it more stressful than enjoyable. So I decided to change my attitude and just go to have fun and not care if I won. It was actually kind of hard to change my mindset, but I think I had myself convinced by the time the match started. It was fun again. Instead of getting mad when I missed, I complimented the other team on the good hit. I feel like I played relatively well and the other team was just better than we were. Actually, the scores look like we were killed 0-6, 1-6, but almost every game made it to deuce and often it stayed there for a long time. We had some great rallies. I don't think my partner was as pleased as I was at the end of the match though. Sorry Stef. Ü
What I learned - I'm not a competitive person. Well maybe I didn't learn that, I've known it a long time. I did learn how to serve better, play a little strategy and mostly find a lot of areas I can improve on for next season. We talked with teammates this evening and I think we're all up for playing in the fall league. Good times!
My sister put a post on her blog about going to one of my matches. It has some photos- eek, look at my arm dropping early on that serve. What would Lani say! Here is the link http://balletsnob.blogspot.com/2008/07/love-means-nothing.html
2 comments:
Good job! I'm so proud of you for playing in a league. I think I have too much fear for such a thing :)
That is such good karma coming to you for complimenting your opponent when you are frustrated with yourself.
Way to go Bets! Can't wait to come to a fall game! :)
Post a Comment