Friday, April 4, 2008

I am in Love with Steve

I've been into all things Steve Martin these days. I was going to put a list on my blog of favorite movies, but there seemed to be a Steve Martin theme (Shop Girl, LA Story, The Three Amigos) so instead I just gush via blog.

A couple of months ago I read the autobiography of SM's stand up career, Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life. I liked it so much that I promptly bought it on itunes so I could hear Steve's voice reading it. I listened to it on the plane on my way home from Hong Kong. He's such a fascinating person, and I love his writing style and subtle humor. It was also touching. I cried at the end which was unexpected. I love his unique and witty sense of humor that he can blend perfectly with humanity and sweetness.

I'm just finishing another one of his novels The Pleasure of My Company. Funny. He writes people so well. His characters are so human, yet situations seem just a little exaggerated to make a point. Everything is very subtle yet purposeful. One of my favorite scenes from LA Story.

Lunch gathering with various friends.
Steve: "I understand you're taking a class in the art of conversation"
Woman: "Yes"
End of conversation. Makes me laugh every time. What a great commentary on people.

My all time favorite is Shop Girl. Loved both the movie and the book, but the movie seemed to speak to me more. I could watch it over and over (and I have). Every word and every frame is like poetry to me. Very simple yet poignant. Nothing gratuitous. (Yes, Gene, I know you would argue some gratuitous sexual content.) A perfectly simple commentary about relationships and our search for belonging. The monologue at the end is my favorite. He says, "How could I miss someone who I held at a distance so that when they were gone I wouldn't miss them." He comments on the connection we keep with people who have been significant in our lives even after they are gone, which I love. He reflects on some regrets in the relationship then concludes, "All I can say is that it is... life." Perfectly said. Sometimes in life we do stupid things that we don't realize until it's over. All the characters in the movie ended up with what they were looking for, but it took learning and trying some wrong things to figure it out. Hum, maybe my love of the movie says a little too much about my life. :)

Next on the reading list is Pure Drivel. A collection of Steve's articles from the New Yorker.

He should marry me.

5 comments:

Chardell said...

I've never seen Shop Girl. Now I feel an urgent need to see it. That post was very well written. I love to read your blogs.

Afton said...

Favorite quote from "Born Standing Up,"

"Through the years I have learned there is no harm in charging oneself up with delusions between moments of valid inspiration."

Heidi P said...

I know we've only known each other 4 weeks and 3 days, but to me it seems like 9 weeks and 5 days.

Hello, this is Harris. I'm in right now, so you can talk to me personally. Please start talking at the sound of the beep.

I also, could do an entire movie quote page-- maybe I will.
I loved this post- it made me so happy just reading it. I will have a better day since I started it out with a little Steve knowledge and humor. He should marry you. Our Sunday dinners would be way more fun with him there ;)

Stephanie F. said...

I think I could put Steve on my "list" (who cares that he's 62). You forgot to write about one of the greatest things about him... he's an accomplished banjo player! He played on Dave once and I was seriously swooning. Ooh look I found it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jn3KCZEqxc
and this one too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw
A musician and funny, you should marry him!
"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream - and I hope you don't find this too crazy - is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, "Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!" That would be bad."

plainoldsarah said...

joy! i read about his autobiography a few months ago in the smithsonian and decided he's a genius. thanks for reminding me that i want to read it!