I've had nothing to blog all week. I've been busy, but nothing too noteworthy. So, in the spirit of Flashback Friday, I'm going to share with you the best story I have from my life thus far. Are you ready for this?
Uh... this is going to have to wait. It's late Friday afternoon and everyone in the office is gone but me. (We sometimes do this on slow Fridays) I was going to just take a few minutes and blog before heading out for the weekend, but I think I have to leave. I work in a turn-of-the-century home we converted into office space. There are weird stories about this place being haunted and I just heard a door close upstairs. I'm so not hanging out here by myself. I'll post my story later. I'm a scaredy-cat.
OK, I'm now safe and can finish my story.
While I was growing up I would always dream about this guy. It wasn't someone I knew, but he had a reoccurring role in my dreams. He would usually rescue me from some perilous situation. He was this handsome dark haired guy with a great smile.
After I graduated from college, I took a trip across Europe with a friend. We were on a night train to Prague (doesn't that sound romantic) and it was pretty crowded. The cars have six bunks, three going up each side of a little room. We finally found a car with two available bunks. I threw my backpack on my bunk, turned around, and in the bunk directly across from me was... the guy from my dreams!! I couldn't believe it.
We chatted through the evening. When it was time to go to sleep, he mentioned that he had talked to someone in charge and found out they had reserved a car in case any VIPs came. He was promised the room if nobody showed up needing it. He offered the private room to me and my friend (perfect dream man, huh?). So Daphne and I had a nice night's sleep in a car without a bunch of strangers. In the morning we were in Prague. We all went together to find the best money exchange rate, and then were separating to go to our separate hotels. This was one of my first travel experiences so I hadn't learned that part of the fun is meeting people and traveling with them for a few days. I stood there awkwardly waiting for him to invite us to meet him for lunch or something, but after a couple of moments of silence, I just told him goodbye.
He said goodbye and walked away. My friend smacked my arm and said it was obvious he was waiting for me to invite him to meet us later. I told her I had been waiting for him to say something. She offered to run after him, but I felt too embarrassed. (are we getting why I'm still single??) I had that whole serendipity mentality- I knew it was meant to be and we'd just happen to run into each other at the town square later in the afternoon.
Sorry to say, I never saw him again. It haunts me. The literal man of my dreams and I was too chicken to do anything. All I know is his name is Joseph and he's from Boston. If any of you know him, please give him my number.
One friend concluded that because I haven't dreamed about him since means that he probably filled his role in my life. Maybe there was some crazy freak in that crowded train car and the man of my dreams saved me just like he did many nights of my youth. This sounds like a good resolution to the story for me. I'm going to go with that.
10 comments:
OK, that is just wrong. You got me all worked up and now I'm going to have to wait like all weekend.
LOL, this is the coolest post ever... "the man of my dreams". And you turn into a chicken and can't tell the great story. It is a wonderful story... I can't wait to read it when you are not being scared.
very exciting story. i'll have to strain my brain to see if i have any wonderful flashback stories..... um, nope. good job! wish i had met your joseph.
What a great story!! Not the happy ending of movies, but awesome still. Maybe the story hasn't ended... Oh, and I meant to post below.. I love ee cummings, I really can't fathom why some people don't like him (i.e. my husband).
I like it, I like it. Someday we'll find out the ending of your story and I plan on lots of mine too.
So glad I found your blog! And I like the idea that he fulfilled his role. AND, at least you got to MEET the man of your dreams!
I had a typo in the previous post I couldn't ignore so I had to repost. Wow. That's an awesome story. I wish he had a more unusual name. Maybe you could hire a PI. This is going to drive me crazy. You have to find this guy. I love the haunted office. The only thing I love more than a serendipity story is a ghost story.
Wow, thats gotta hurt! I bet your friend is right about what she said, he probably fulfilled his purpose (although it seems really small unless he really did safe you from some psycho train killer). I will keep my eyes and ears open for him and send him your way if I see him.
The problem with "men of your dreams" is they all turn real at some point in the relationship...
Then it isn't as fun anymore.
*Deep thought brought to you by the producers of Jack Handy
Post a Comment