Monday, April 7, 2008

One of My Quirks

I don't like used stuff. Clothes from the second hand store creep me out, even antique furniture seems germ infested and undesirable regardless of quality and aesthetics. This hasn't been a huge part of my personality until last week when I had a book delivered that I bought used from Amazon. I haven't touched it. It sits on top of my filing cabinet where I placed it when it arrived. I occasionally look at it like it has the plague. And maybe it does. Who knows who has sneezed or wiped their nose on that book.

Reading a used book is like wearing used underwear. Books are intimate. They go everywhere with us- laying in bed, riding public transportation, eating, even going to the bathroom. I want to get out the Lysol and disinfect every page before I let the book join my life for the next week or so. I'm not a germ-freak. I believe in the three-second rule when something I want to eat hits the floor, but something about not knowing where something has been is a little creepy for me. I've been able to suppress the used-book gross factor until now. I've checked books out of the library or purchased a used book before; the idea that it was gross was always in the back of my mind, but I didn't let it effect me too much. I'm not sure why this book pushed it over the edge. Maybe because it's about Pol Pot and the addition of sickening content made the difference. I just can't seem to get the image of all the possible nastiness that could be on the book. I don't think I'll read it. Anyone want it? I promise I didn't take it in the bathroom with me. :)

11 comments:

Stephanie F. said...

Remind me to never lend you a book :)

Stephanie F. said...

Remind me to never lend you a book :)

Jill said...

That made me laugh...You don't own a library card do you.

Mindy said...

I feel the same way. Yesterday I ordered 4 books off the amazon and it tried to tempt me telling me how cheap it was to "buy it used for $4.97" but I was strong and did not.
My kids love the library but some of the stuff I have encountered in those books is disgusting (think about kids and their fascination with their noses). I just tell myself that after a while the germs die.

abi said...

hahahaha! I once told someone that I had that problem with the library...and they thought I was nuts. I try to just not think about it, but there really is a limit to how many books you can own without them over-taking your house. Btw, the hike was with your Dad!

Afton said...

I bought a used book from Goodwill once and I've not read it. It could be because it's The Lovely Bones and I've heard so many conflicting comments on the book that I don't know what to do, but yes, it does creep me out a bit and I don't like to touch it. Although I do let it touch my other books.

I don't get creeped out from the library though and it's a good thing because I go to the library more frequently than I go to the grocery store.

I would take a used book over an old balloon ANY DAY though.

Afton said...

OK, now you have me thinking...maybe the library books are ok because they have those plastic dust jackets. Not that germs can't stick to plastic, but somehow it creates the illusion of cleanliness in my mind. Totally irrational, I know.

New books are so delicious though. They smell good and they are all smooth and unwrinkled.

Heidi P said...

I just bought used clothes from ebay for my kids... I don't like any of them. Maybe I am a snob? Don't answer that. As little as I enjoy reading, I have to agree with Afton, new books are like new shoes...so fun to break in yourself- To fit your foot perfectly.

Crystalyn said...

I love your quirks. Your quirks make me laugh because they are not the same ones I have. I like used, because the item tells a story about someone. I can even imagine the person and make up their story. If it's a book then it's even better if they write in the margin or underline stuff. We hope to see you soon. You have got to come check out our house for rent on 400 North. We'll be there Saturday.

plainoldsarah said...

that's never ever occurred to me. bring on the library and all the used books. if you're serious betsy i think the book sounds pretty interesting if a bit gruesome - topic wise i mean. used shmused.

kat said...

youi're hilarious. i've never minded used clothes - not including underwear - you can always throw them in the washer and have them smell like you. i just can't stand searching through the piles of crap to find the good ones.

now, thank you very much, you've got me thinking about used books. i've tried to change my fundamental need to have the book be new and unblemished until it touches my hands. i just can't have any more books in here, and i keep getting dogs lately. the library is my new friend. i just try not to think about the book making the trip to the bathroom, but now you've ruined my little fantasy world!