Sunday, April 13, 2008

Springtime and Poetry

Finally, a weekend that was warm and sunny. I went for a little hike up Millcreek on Saturday. Made me happy! Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer. Maybe we'll play tennis outside in the evening. Ah, simple pleasures.

Springtime always makes me crave poetry. Typically, each Spring, when the poetry bugs hits me, I search around and find "The Official Poem of Spring" which I hang on my kitchen cupboard for the rest of the year. For a few years running it was an ee cummings poem just because I couldn't find anything I liked better. Last year, I think I branched out a bit, but missed mr cummings greeting me in the kitchen every morning. I found out recently that April is Poetry Month. I signed up online to get a poem a day all month long. Here's one from last week which seems a good contender for this year's official poem.


Before A Departure in Spring
Once more it is April with the first light sifting
through the young leaves heavy with dew making the colors
remember who they are the new pink of the cinnamon tree
the gilded lichens of the bamboo the shadowed bronze
of the kamani and the blue day opening
as the sunlight descends through it all like the return
of a spirit touching without touch and unable
to believe it is here and here again and awake
reaching out in silence into the cool breath
of the garden just risen from darkness and days of rain
it is only a moment the birds fly through it calling
to each other and are gone with their few notes and the flash
of their flight that had vanished before we ever knew it
we watch without touching any of it and we
can tell ourselves only that this is April this is the morning
this never happened before and we both remember it

W. S. Merwin.


Here's my favorite by ee cummings

O sweet spontaneous
earth how often have
the
doting
fingers of
purient philosophers pinched
and
poked
thee
,has the naughty thumb
of science prodded
thy
beauty .how
oftn have religions taken
thee upon their scraggy knees
squeezing and
buffeting thee that thou mightest conceive
gods
(but
true
to the incomparable
couch of death thy
rhythmic
lover
thou answerest
them only with
spring)


I seriously LOVE that poem. I could sit and read it over and over. I'm a nerd.
Anybody have a favorite to share??? I love a good poetry exchange.

12 comments:

Heidi P said...

Roses are red, violets are blue, Im a skitsophrenic, and so am I.

Bob Wyle

Stephanie F. said...

Haha, nice Heidi!
Betsy, did you memorize that ee cummings one?

Afton said...

I just got a surprise order from Children's Book of the Month club because I forgot to decline my monthly selections. Both books were poetry, one by Shel Silverstein and the other by Jack Prelutsky. I flipped open the Jack book to this poem called "Call of the Long-winded Clumsy Owl." I will edit for length:

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....ooops!

(It actually has about 10 times the amounts of o's.)

How about this one to celebrate Spring called "Spring Id Here."

Sprig id here,
I hab a code.
Idz id duh biddu
Ub by dode.
Idz id dud biddu
Uf by head.
I'b bidderabu,
Add I'b id bed.

I caddod breed,
I caddod smell.
I seed and seed,
I ab dod well,
Add yed my hard
Id fidd wid cheer...
I hab a code,
Bud sprig id here.

Afton said...

That owl poem did not turn out like it was supposed to. It was supposed to say oops at the end.

Betty Grace said...

Instead of a cold, it should be about Spring allergies! Many of us could relate.

thanks for sharing the poetry- oh, you too Heidi. :)

Jill said...

I think I could write a whole book of poems on Allergies at this moment! i know the the word "snot" would be in there A LOT!...I'm not sure snot could ever be poetic!

I really liked your poems. I need more culture!

Jill said...

Wait...! I have a beginning to my poem...

Drip
Drip
Drip...a sound I hear a lot....
Drip
Drip
Drip....it is the sound of .....

ok, I won't write the gross word again. Just give me some tissue.

Ben Hyde said...

Speaking of allergies, A few years agoe I used my bleached blonde hair as an allergy joke when I did an opening number at Johnny B's comedy club. It went something like... "I fighting allergies too, now that my head is in full bloom..." ;)

P.S. As I write this, I am listening to STTD "Hold Me" I googled it and it brought me to his video on youtube. I don't see why you couldn't embed the video to your blog site, and then copy it to your I-Pod. Since I don't have one, I'm not sure of the direct procedure.

plainoldsarah said...

okay i did some thinking about that ee cummings. i've always struggled with his poetry - i think because there's an air of bitterness to them. a tinge of hurt and maybe a bit of meanness in return for the hurt. don't ask me to support that belief - i'm not sure i could - just an overall reaction i have. this poem even did that for me. it's like he can find the tiny amount of bitterness that underlies the beauty and celebration of life that spring generally is. which is probably good - that's probably why he is so celebrated - he is able to write about a glorious thing like spring and bring in all the subtle nuances that many of us sense but are incapable of expressing or even acknowledging publicly.

okay - that was probably way too much for a blog comment. either way, thanks for sharing. maybe i'll share it with the kids today and see what they have to say about it.

plainoldsarah said...

i totally shared this with my students (ee cummings) and they got it. they explained it rather well to me. i love hearing minds work! thanks!

aaronh said...

my fab. Is daffodils by ....I will look it up

Betty Grace said...

Aaron- is it the Wordsworth one? In a previous post I referenced something being one of my favorite "daffodil" moments- referring to WW poem. I wondered if anyone would get this reference. I figured you and Afton would. :)